This October we are going to bring you some of the most interesting #true paranormal cases we can find. You can discover more true, terrifying accounts of the paranormal right here.
What do you know about the “Mothman” sightings? Many people have tried to find out the truth behind the fantastic encounters people have had with this creature. Mothman is described as being a large, man-shaped creature with huge wings and glowing, red eyes. The creature was first seen on November 15, 1966 by Roger and Linda Scarberry, their cousin Lonnie Button, and Steve and Mary Mallette. One night, the group was driving past the West Virginia Ordnance Works, located about seven miles north of Point Pleasant, when they noticed two red lights near the factory gate. They stopped the car to investigate and discovered that the lights were actually the glowing eyes of a “large animal, shaped like a man, but bigger, maybe six and a half or seven feet tall, with big wings folded against its back,” according Linda Scarberry in an eyewitness account detailed at Mothman Museum. The creature chased the group at speeds of over 100 miles per hour toward Route 62.
The following night, the creature was seen by Mrs. Marcella Bennett and then again on November 24 by four more people. On November 25, the Mothman was seen standing in a field when it suddenly spread its wings and flew away. On January 11, 1967, the Mothman was seen hovering around the Point Pleasant Bridge, also called the Silver Bridge. On and off throughout that year, more reports were filed about sightings of the creature around the bridge. Finally, on December 15, 1967, the bridge collapsed and killed 46 people.
Was Mothman trying to warn the people of Point Pleasant about the impending disaster, or was it somehow responsible? Ever since the Silver Bridge disaster, Mothman has rarely been seen in Point Pleasant, but it has made its presence known elsewhere.
Ever since the tragic Silver Bridge collapse, Mothman sightings have been reported all over the world. More recent Mothman sightings include:
- September 11, 2001: New York City. A large, winged creature was reportedly seen flying from the World Trade Center Towers on the day of the infamous terrorist attack.
- 2001: The creature was also reported in Sedalia, Missouri, in Camden, Maine and in Mawnan, Cornwall, England.
- 2002: The creature was reported in San Diego, California.
- 2003: Mothman was reportedly seen in Orizaba, Veracruz, Mexico.
- 2004: It was reported in Valles de la Salle, Monterrey, Nuevo Leon, Mexico; Standing Rock Indian Reservation, Ziebach County, South Dakota; Newport, Tennessee and in Martinez, California.
- 2005: A large, man-shaped bird creature was reported in Cache, Comanche County, Oklahoma; Washington County, Pennsylvania and in San Marcos, California.
- 2006: There were a large number of Mothman sightings in Mexico, Canada, England, Poland, Argentina, Brazil, Russia and all across the United States.
So, what do you think? We will be bringing you Mothman encounters over the next few weeks. You’ll be able to make up your own mind about this strange legend…
© 2022, G. Michael Vasey & My Haunted Life Too.com (Unless indicated otherwise by author’s own copyright above). All rights reserved.